At the time of application students
- must be considered juniors or seniors in an accredited college or university
- must be a history or American studies major with an American history concentration
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter must be from an American history or American studies professor. Only professional and academic recommendations will be accepted. Recommendations from family or friends will not be considered.
- A personal statement in the form of a 500-word academic autobiography giving special attention to achievements in American history and public service.
- An academic writing sample of 3-5 pages
- An unofficial transcript
- The application for the 2018 award will open on September 15, 2017.
- The application for the 2018 award will close on March 30, 2018.
- The 2018 program will be held from June 3–8, 2018, in New York City.